Monday, April 05, 2010

NOW FOR THE LATEST FLEECE PURCHASE...PENNEY

This fleece is a Corriedale Bond X, her name is Penney, it is by far the largest fleece I have purchased, coming in at 6 pounds. This fleece is definitely different from the other two I have done, alot finer wool with tons of lanolin in it. I bet at least 40% of the weight will go down the drain with washing out the lanolin. It looks like cotton, feels like cotton, it's unbelievably soft.

I LOVE THAT ALL THESE FLEECE ARE NAMED, IT'S SO FUN! EWENIKA, MINGLE, PENNEY...



Nice fluffy fleece drying...

Poofs of whiteness...


I decided to do something different this time & washed it in the washing machine. Well, not really, the washer was just the container. No agitation was happening, just soaking. This is the first wash water, yuk!!! I did the other fleeces in the kitchen sink, a bag at a time which was REALLY slow going. This way, I was able to do the entire 6 pound fleece in 3 batches. Of course, by batch I mean 2 washes with Dawn dishwashing soap & then 2 rinses, all with really hot water, the first rinse having a big glug of white vinegar in it. Amazing what hot water & a little soap will do, huh?





Sorting the fleece. It was really clean, hardly any VM in it at all. Just LOTS of creamy lanolin.











A beautiful lock of Corriedale Bond X.








The fleece just out of the shipping box. I have no current plans for this fleece, just wanting to get it washed & then leisurely work on it over the summer. I do still have alot of combing to do on Mingle's fleece yet, then spinning, then knitting...lots going on!







No comments: